1 week ago
HMC Festival Wind band (HYWO & Wind Band) also took part in the National Festival Regional event. They received some lovely feedback. Well done to everyone.
• A wonderfully atmospheric introduc;on to your piece today
• Trumpeter, you play with ease of style and with very lyrical phrasing - good stamina.
• Trumpet - could play without the music? You appear to know this piece so well. Fantas;c last note.
Would be nice if you could stand more centrally, we want to see you more clearly
• As a band, you accompany with sensi;vity
• Good dynamic colours and contrasts
• Well done to the tuba player for laying down a strong bass line
• You all look very professional and are siPng up straight, lovely posture which supports good breath work
• Well done percussion section, clear and precise xylophone playing which adds a great timbre to this piece
2. Celtic Suite
• What a well chosen contrast to your first piece!
• Strong percussion underpinning this piece, stylistically good but make sure you are watching carefully
• Fantastic snare drum rolls! Wow!
• A full and colourful woodwind sound in this piece especially the flutes
• Flutes, your phrasing is very good. You play with a full sound
• As the brass join the woodwind the tuP sound of this band before the 6/8 sec;on, the sound is full, rich
and lush with good articulation- lovely
• Percussion sec;on you are strong and confident bringing the Celtc style of this piece to us with security,
you are really going for it!
• Some wonderful moments that really do paint a sonic soundscape for us - we want to dance!
Suggestions ons for development:
Thank you for your lovely performance today. You have a wide range of ages in this band and you work together as an ensemble so well! Now just make sure you pay a[en;on to the fundamentals of your music making EVEN more. In order to improve your intonation, you must listen to each other more carefully in your sec;ons. Watch your lovely conductor even more - she knows what she is doing.
We wondered if it might help to bring the percussion player closer together so they could be more of a team. ...
Just received the written feedback from last weeks HYJO performance at the National Festival regional.
It goes as follows
• Superb! You have captured the style perfectly
• Energy, powerful, wonderful phrasing from each secDon
• Sax section colourful and well phrased
• Great stylistic solo work from each of you - very musical
• The groove is remarkable and tight - rhythm section , you lock-in and communicate beautifully
• Rhythm section you drive this Latin groove forward with style and energy - tight and professional • The whole band is tight, mature-sounding, focussed and full of confidence
• Every one of you is engaged and clearly LOVES playing
• A stylish piano introduction
• A ‘wow’ moment when the full band comes in - spine tingling
• This band plays with wonderful dynamic colour
• Each section is technically fantastic - your articulation is spot on
• Saxes you project your sound beautifully and match the brass - nice one!
• Rhythm section YOU ARE AMAZING - relaxed but so tight and your eye contact! Amazingly mature piano
solo - you completely understand the ‘changes’
• Articulation and phrasing from the full band is spectacular
• We can hear everything - so well balanced
• Sax solo - very musically played with lots of understanding - you know what you are doing - well done!
• So fluent and so musical - energy, joy, passion, commitment and belief in what you are doing
• You work together as an ensemble so well
• Baritone sax! Brilliant - your tone is so gorgeous - the music you play flows, you play with understanding
• Rhythm section, your comping, accompanying skills are professional - locked-in beautifully
• This piece is so difficult and yet you play it with fluency, style and brilliant accuracy
• Rhythm section, you know your role is to support the band and you do this perfectly
• DRUMS!!! Your phrasing with the brass is perfect and so stylish
• The energy and passion of this band is SPECTACULAR
Suggestions for development: An absolutely amazing band - you are all skilful and wonderful musicians. Your improvised solos flowed and were inventive and thoughtful - you really ‘know your stuff’.
You were all confident of your role within the band and I am sure that each one of you is a potential soloist. You worked together as a team - brilliant. The communicaDon between you was obvious and very mature. Professional bands don’t often sound as good as your performance today!
Think now more about your dynamic colour - to make your performance even more exciting we would like to hear even more extremes of dynamics (grasping at straws here as need to give some suggestions!). LOVED THIS PERFORMANCE and could listen to you all day. Mind-blowing!
Not a bad day at the office... ...
Great comments. How did you get these please? Was it by email Will? Thanks
Fantastic. You should all be so proud. Harrogate music centre is such a wonderful place for young musicians to come together and have fun making music and learning. Long may it continue.
Fabulous comments, Richly deserved. Well done everyone
While I have a little time on my hands I’ve been thinking about new repertoire for HYJO. Have a listen and let me know what you think...
youtu.be/WaaNeRKZyGYProvided to YouTube by TuneCore Bill Bailey · The Tom Kubis Big Band At Last ℗ 2009 TomKubis.com/Big Noyz Studios Released on: 2009-01-10 Auto-generated by Y... ...